With many Public Sector contracts due to expire over the next three years, organisations are understandably assessing their options about what to do with their IT. Health and government bodies are looking to move away from the large outsource programmes of ten years ago, which locked them into expensive and rigid contracts; with many IT services still not fully delivered or deployed even years into the contract.
We are talking to more and more Public Sector organisations who want to take back control of their IT, and harness the flexibility of cloud services. But many recognise they just aren’t ready to move everything to the cloud and need an interim solution that lets them bridge the gap between their current outsourcing contract and true public cloud service delivery. That’s where Carrenza can provide a springboard to the cloud.
How did we get here?
Let’s say you’re a Public Sector organisation with 18 months to go until your outsource contract comes to an end. What options do you have?
- Stick with your current outsource provider and renew your contract because you’re struggling to find the time to pick apart your IT services and find new strategies for each area.
- Take the entire contract and shift it to a new provider and retender for another ten-year contract because it seems like the easiest and least risky option.
- Move everything to the public cloud and deploy all services to the AWS or Azure cloud. Yet most of your applications will need rewriting to be cloud ready as many of them have been sitting on infrastructure that’s over 5 years old and out of warranty.
- Move all services back in-house and find the staff to manage ten-year-old applications and legacy infrastructure (and also the budget for all of those capital purchases).
- Work with a specialist cloud technology partner like Carrenza who can be the springboard you need to get to the cloud: moving legacy infrastructure and applications into our own data centres and IaaS (physical, virtual, and non-X86), and migrating cloud-ready services straight to the public cloud where appropriate; all managed centrally.
Moving away from your current infrastructure set up requires a plan
It’s a daunting prospect to move away from your current supplier – the technology landscape for enterprise IT has changed dramatically over the past ten years and the skills you need in-house today across AWS certified engineers to cloud architects are not yet readily available. Added to the government’s recent budget announcements about tightening up IR35 regulations causing many Public Sector IT contractors to leave for jobs in the private sector, and the skills shortage becomes one of the main factors limiting organisations’ ability to transform their IT in-house.
We’ve recently spoken to some Public Sector organisations who have over 500 applications that need to be rewritten before they can move to the cloud: So, is 18 months, 3 years, or however long you have left on your current contract enough to get your legacy applications and services up to date and cloud-enabled?
And the risks of getting it wrong are well-known: the press is full of Public Sector bodies who have apparently wasted hundreds of thousands of pounds of taxpayer money on the wrong IT choice, when in fact the truth is that it’s a complex job to migrate services affecting thousands of people to a new provider. That’s why we see some organisations making rash decisions out of panic at the end of their contract, instead signing up to expensive contract extensions because they don’t have a suitable alternative solution in place.
Carrenza can make it simple: We act as a springboard to the cloud.
What does that mean?
Well, we have our UK data centers where we can do a number of things to help:
- We can lift and shift current applications and host them for you, migrating services gradually as needed (this includes both x86 and non-x86 workloads)
- We can host your applications on our own infrastructure, powered by our cloud services running on HPE enterprise technology
- We can move some of your cloud-ready services to the public cloud through our partnerships with global hyperscale cloud providers such as Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Azure
- And, we can use our specialist skills around digital transformation, DevOps and cloud migration, as well as our wide partner network, to help you become cloud-ready across your entire organisation.
The main thing we focus on is not limiting your choices.
We have a range of services to suit different workloads, applications and legacy systems in your current environment, but we also have the specialist expertise to gradually move you along towards a more industry-standard, automated technology service delivery model, so that when you do decide to move on in three years’ time or even move to a new outsource programme, your IT is in a better shape than where you left it and is simpler to move and transform.
We are, in effect, acting as an interconnect between all of these services and your end goal of being public cloud-ready. You can’t become cloud enabled overnight, but you need someone who knows how to get you there.
And there are a number of cost savings along the way, across:
- Uncovering and removing inefficiencies in your current IT environment through low server usage
- Rationalisation of applications and infrastructure in order to turn off what’s not working
- Rearchitecting applications so that they can run on public cloud infrastructure or newer hardware that costs less to maintain
Carrenza is a trusted Public Sector cloud provider, and through our partnerships with enterprise technology vendors such as HPE to deliver our in-house Multi-Cloud solution, we can bridge the gap to help you move to the cloud: in a safe, controlled and cost-efficient way.
We have the skills and expertise across the major public cloud stacks and are experts in DevOps methodology to help you automate and orchestrate your technology environment in a modern and efficient way.
Delivered by HPE and Carrenza
Carrenza is a HPE Silver PartnerReady Service Provider, delivering hosting and cloud services to customers across the UK and Europe. Powered by HPE products and technologies, HPE Service Provider partners deliver a wide range of services, including dedicated hosting, hybrid cloud hosting, managed hosting, application specific hosting for mission-critical applications. HPE supports Carrenza in delivering its unique, UK based Multi-Cloud solution through joint go-to-market initiatives and sales engagement.